Donald L. Calarco , president of the D.L. Calarco Funeral Home, Inc. received his funeral directing license in 1962 from Simmons School of Mortuary Science in Syracuse, NY.
The Simpson Funeral Home originally located on State Street employed Don for twelve years. He and his wife Ann F. O'Brien Calarco purchased the original Precious Blood Monastery on Keyes Avenue in 1976. After refurbishing the historic building from October of 1976 until February of 1977, they opened the funeral home on February 20, 1977. The building was built in 1896 and is of the Georgian Revival Style.
Ann was employed at the New York Air Brake from 1948-1969 and Office manager from 1976- 1996. She currently is the Vice President, Secretary and continues to be active in the day to day business of the Funeral Home.
M. Jane O'Brien, Ann's sister, retired from the New York Telephone Company in 1983 after 38 years of service as a manager. She currently holds the position of Treasurer, Office Manager, and assists on funerals at the funeral home.
Ann and Don's daughter, Frances A. Calarco, joined them in business after receiving her funeral directing license in 1985 from Simmons School of Mortuary Science in Syracuse, NY. She has been with the funeral home since receiving her license.
The building has gone through many transformations, in 1983 a large two-story addition in the north east corner was added for a casket selection room, two stall attached garage, elevator and additional living space on the second floor for the Calarco family. The funeral home added additional parking in 1990. In 1998, a small addition was added on the north west corner. This addition was added for better accessibility to the facility from the parking area. The handicap accessible ramp leads into the funeral home and to the office.